Skip to main content

Wheels on the Bus Party

My two year is obsessed with school buses. This love was amplified after attending a local bus demolition derby. (He now believes all school buses bang into each other, stating "bus, BANG!", with coordinating hand gestures indicating a collision. We'll have to retrain his psyche but I digress...)

This year we hosted his bus themed party at the local library. I saw other libraries have birthday packages including story time; ours only offers a large space for a small fee. But, hey, I can play librarian story-time reader for a party!


(Note the below contains some affiliated links, some FREEBIES, and other direct links to tools or service sites. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.)

Party Invites: I searched online and couldn't quite find exactly what I wanted, so I created my own on Silhouette. On pixlr.com, I photo-shopped a picture of my son and added him to the bus on the invite. I was going to print at home but the quality was mediocre, so I sent them off to Staples to be printed on card stock. From Silhouette, I "printed" them as a PDF and used that to upload to Staples. 

Party Supplies:
Bus table: I saw another mom had created a bus via corrugated paper for her son's party (from MidwestBlonde) and I wanted to replicate with a roll of vinyl table cloth. We used the bin containing all the party supplies as the front. And of course the birthday boy had to be the driver!
- Construction paper (Amazon)

Backdrops: The space we rented was HUGE and I wanted to give it the feel of being a bit more intimate with a more immersive experience. I found backdrops with bus images on many sites and ended up ordering from AliExpress.
- Countryside bus backdrop (They have other options listed here as well with varying sizes!)


Photo Props: Starting with Levi's first birthday, I whipped up some fun cutouts that look like Polaroid pictures. I was able to reuse the ones I created for Lance's 4th birthday; he even helped in painting over the old creations

Balloons: A bus party needs a few bus balloons! I also picked up a large #2 to add to the mix. I scored these balloons off of Amazon:
- #2 Balloon  

Activities:
Floor mat: For an activityI ordered a city map for the kiddos to drive their buses on. I especially liked this one as it is not super busy with lots of color.
Floor Mat (I purchased for $5.96 + shipping and the little street signs to go with it)

Bus Craft: I searched high and low for something that would be age appropriate for 2 year old kiddos to do as a craft. I thought it would be fun to make 3D buses. I didn't like any of the options online, so created my own. I used construction paper for the prototype but upgraded to cardstock for the party.
- FREE Silhouette 3D Bus Template, Windows & Tires Template




Bus Felt Board: I saw an idea on Pinterest for a Pin-the-Wheel on the bus activity. That may be great for an older kiddo, but a 2 year old may feel challenged enough to add a wheel to a board without a blindfold or being spun around. Here I used a large cardboard box (thank you Amazon!) and hot glued yellow felt to the bus cutout. I also hot glued the road to the board. All the other shapes have a small piece of sandpaper on the back to help the felt adhere. It only seemed fitting that the birthday boy should be the bus driver. I printed him on my colored printer then added contact paper to make his cutout sturdier.
- Yellow Felt: I lucked out and have a discount fabric store nearby. I picked up a yard and a half of 72" fabric for 1.99/yd
- Other felt: Some I just happened to have on hand, the white and black sparkly was from Joann's.


Bus Tunnel, Play Tent & Scooters: Again, this is a LARGE space and we had a bunch of busy 2 year olds. I was able to borrow a play tent from one of my son's buddies, added a bus scooter to his birthday wish list and purchased a bus tunnel! Here are links to where you can buy all three:
- Bus Tunnel (Various locations, I had Kohl's money to use, so that's where I purchased it!)
- Play Tent (Currently $24.95 on Amazon)
- Scooters (Currently $12.95 on Amazon)


Face paint: I randomly found a deal on face paint crayons a week before the party. Seemed like an easy addition. Kids sported everything from school buses from butterflies to lions!

Story Time: Since we were at a library and had access to all the books we could ever want. We previewed a few a month in advance and my kiddos loved them so much, we purchased them off of Ebay to share during the party.
Here are quick links to Amazon:
- "It's Your First Day of School Busy Bus!"
- "School Bus Saves the Day"
- "Caillou The School Bus"

Family Outfits:
My husband recently asked if he gets a say in what he gets to wear for any of our parties. The answer is no. 😊 I looked online for some funny bus related shirts and saw some that said "This is how I roll" or alluded to "Best Bus Driver". Nothing seemed perfect for this party. Playing on Chamillionaire's song Ridin', I created these party bus shirts for the birthday boy, his brother and dad. And of course, I needed something bus related too... I found this BellePointe Sweater Vest gem on eBay.
- Screen print image: Silhouette File  PDF Version

Treat bags:
I kept coming up with fun ideas for the treat bags. Scope creep?, probably... but I couldn't hold myself back. They ended up being about $5/bag (not too shabby!).

Bags: We enjoyed the screen printed shirts a lot, so we reused the image for all of the bags! From Alphabroder, I ordered 15 black cotton tote bags and screen printed on each:
- Bags
- FREE Screen print image: Silhouette File  PDF Version

Pencil bags: AliExpress has these awesome bus pencil bags for super cheap! I paid $1.50/ bag. (Order at least a month+ in advance) I also included a handful of colored pencils in each bag.
- Pencil bags
Coloring book: I did a Google search for free bus coloring pages and consolidated them to a small little book with a small thank you message inside. These are free unlicensed images and should not be used for commercial use.
- Photo Editing to photoshop your kiddo in the bus: pixlr.com
- Create a coloring page from a photo: reallycolor.com
Mini bus balloons: What 2 year old doesn't love a balloon?! Here is a link to mini bus balloons. (These were only $0.27/each when I ordered!)

Bus Ornaments: I stumbled across these fantastic laser wood cutouts on Etsy by InspirationCreated. Since Christmas is right around the corner, this was a great last minute add-on to the treat bags. I added yellow ribbon to finish these off and a thank you label on the back.
- Wood cutout Bus - they range in price by size and thickness but start at $0.30.
- FREE - Thank You Labels - Word Doc


Books: I happened to luck out and find an Ebay lot of new school bus books by Donald Crews. Each family took home one book.
-School Bus by Donald Crews (Amazon)

Food:
I outsourced the menu coordination to my party planning fanatic mother. Her and my dad flew in a couple days to help and celebrate our big, almost 2 year old!

Cake: We ordered a bus cupcake-cake from our local Market Basket. It turned out fantastic and tasted just as great.

Other Food: Since the party was in the morning, we had a variety of breakfast worthy snacks: fruit, veggies, pretzels, chocolate donuts, danishes and drinks for both parents and kiddos.
- FREE Editable Food Labels in MS Publisher


Table Sign: This was a last minute creation for the food table created the night before by yours truly.
- FREE Editable Table Sign


Other ideas:

How fun would it to be to dress up like the Magic School Bus Character?! Here are some links to affordable costumes:
(Images from Amazon)

Or dress up like a bus! Kiddo costume 



Comments

  1. How did you keep the letters in place on the bus?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used double stick tape to apply the letters and other decals. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Clip-on Bow Ties

My mother and I just created Easter clip-on bow ties for my three boys! (Might need to make another for my 4th, slightly taller, boy!)  What you need: - Fabric: 2 pieces (10"×5" & 3"×1.5") - Interfacing - Needle, Thread, Scissors & Iron - Bow tie clips  (10 pack from Aliexpress) We followed this tutorial the best we could. (Note the above contains an affiliated link.)

Luau Birthday

  Another year old calls for another fun party! My 6 year old requested a luau this time around. We schemed up some fun games, great food and other party-tastic shenanigans. (Note the below contains some affiliated links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.) Food: Hawaiian Rolls, unpleasantly named Funeral Rolls Coconut Shrimp Fruit - Pineapple, Mango, Watermelon Hawaiian meatballs Cupcakes - we made little beach scenes with the following.    White frosting   Blue frosting Cocktail Umbrellas Teddy Grahams Rainbow Belts (for beach towels) Be sure to add the candies the DAY OF the party, otherwise they get wonky and stale. Games: Limbo, Hula hoop &  Corn hole competitions Mannequin Lei tossing game - We happen to have a dress form that needed to participate in the party. We threw a hawaiin shirt on him and had the kids try to throw party leis on it from different distances. Other activities : Tour of the tropics - We have a great nature trail that we turned into